Skip to content
Transfer of Apprenticeship
- A registered apprentice who wishes to transfer an Apprentice Agreement between two local IBEW/NECA JATCs having registered inside apprenticeship programs.
- In order to transfer an apprenticeship agreement between two local IBEW/NECA JATCs having a registered inside apprenticeship program, the following requirements must be met. The apprentice must submit a written request for transfer, describing in detail the needs and reasons upon which the request is based.
- The apprentice’s sponsoring JATC must agree to the transfer, acting on behalf of the official program sponsors for the IBEW and NECA.
- The receiving JATC must agree to accept the transfer, acting on behalf of the official program sponsors for the IBEW and NECA.
- The receiving JATC shall have complete access to all apprenticeship records pertaining to the transferring apprentice.
- The transferring apprentice must:
- Provide to the JATC official documentation pertaining to their participation in the apprenticeship program that they are transferring from. An official copy of all records established with the sponsoring JATC (including a copy of the application form and the apprenticeship agreement—properly registered with the Registration Agency) and other information submitted shall be provided to the receiving JATC.
- Out of State Transfers: The State of Texas requires 8000 hours of on the job training to be completed before they will issue a Texas Journeyman’s License. These hours must be verified by the contractor. It is advisable that apprentices trying to transfer to Texas have their contractor(s) complete an Electrician Experience Verification Form available here.